11 May 2008

No Doubt About It

I'm just getting into a book by Sheri Dew called No Doubt About It. I really like the way she writes and I thought I would put up a few things she included in the book. The first thing is a quote by Howard W. Hunter, "Whatever Jesus lays his hands upon lives. If Jesus lays his hands upon a marriage, it lives. If he is allowed to lay his hands upon the family, it lives." It's a beautiful quote, but something important about Jesus laying his hands on anything is that He must be allowed to do so. Christ really does heal us, I know that for myself. So why not a family, why not a marriage? If we allow Him to, it is possible.

And now a quote by Gordon B. Hinckley, "Jesus Christ is the pivotal figure of our theology and our faith. Every Latter-day Saint has the responsibility to know...with a certainty beyond doubt that Jesus is the resurrected, living Son of the living God." I remember when I was about 15 I realized that if I was going to claim to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that I ought to have a testimony of Him whose church it was. There were some things that I already knew by that point---I knew that the Book of Mormon was true, and I felt that the church was true. I suppose I just didn't feel like I really understood that much about Christ and what was so incredibly amazing about Him. Well, I asked God, and of course He gave me an answer when the time was right (a few months later). My testimony of Jesus has had opportunities to be nurtured and continue growing ever since. It says in Doctrine and Covenants that what will separate those who gain exaltation is that they would be valiant in their testimonies of Jesus. I've got to keep working every day at it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Amanda, did you find my brother's blog through the mission website? I'm glad you've looked at it! If you get a chance, I would really like to see some pictures of San Martin, and I would like to post them on the blog, too. If it's too much trouble though, don't worry about it. Thank you for posting!