30 November 2014

Putting Dry Bones Back Together


This is a painting of a vision that Ezekiel had while in captivity.  A description of that vision is found in Ezekiel 37 (primarily verses 1-10).  Obviously everything about this picture is pretty sad.  Some words I would use to describe the scene are dead, dry, scattered, disorganized.  Now, there are a lot of messages we can get from Ezekiel's vision.  Here's one that I loved today, verses 5 and 6, 

"Thus saith the Lord God unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:  And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live..."

Ezekiel's prophecy has been and is being fulfilled in many ways.  One of the promises we have is that even after we die, we will live again because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  All mankind will be resurrected, their scattered bones will be gathered and put back together and life will be breathed back into us.  I like that the vision wasn't just bones, but dry bones.  Dry, we are talking really dead, no water to sustain life at all.  As we come unto Christ he gives us living waters.  Through Christ our lives can be put back together, we can be resurrected literally and figuratively.  Through Christ our lives can have vitality again.

I am grateful for Him this Christmas season and for the many ways that He has "put breath in me".  I am grateful for the hope that I have in Him that as grim as things may get in the future, there is nothing so dead or broken that Christ can't fix and bring back to life.  

No comments: